SQL SERVER - Policy-Based Management (PBM)
- What is Policy-Based Management (PBM)?
- Explanation on Policy-Based Management (PBM)?
- Concept of Policy-Based Management (PBM)?
- Describe on Policy-Based Management (PBM)?
- what is Facet in Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- what is Condtion Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- What is Traget in Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- What is Policy Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- What in on Demand and on schedule in Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- Example of Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- Step by Step example of Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
- Question and Answer on Policy-Based Management in SQL Server
Policy-Based Management is new feature available in Object explorer into the management Tab in SQL server Management Studio 2008. PBM allows creating and enforcing to configuring and managing SQL Server all the enterprise. PBM have some term to define and user to managing SQL Server.
- Target – In the target means where we have to manage entity (like talbe, view, index etc) by using PBM.
- Facet – It’s the system defined set of properties that can be manage. In simple way facets is the target type and each facet contains many property. Explore to facet tab you will get predefined facets and double click on facets.
- Condition – Here we can create a property expression that evaluates to True or False and set the State of facet.
- Policy – Here you have to select the condition to be check and/or forced and set the evaluation mode as on demand or on schedule.
On Demand: you can right click on policy and click on evaluate.
On schedule: it gives the option of SQL AGENT.
Example: Very Easy
We will configure and mange PMB for index facets. Just go into the facet tab you will find named index double click on it.
Now Right click on the condition table and click in ‘New condition’. Type the Name of Condition and select INDEX facet from below drop down list, than create expression as showing in below image.
Than right click on Policy tab and click on ‘new policy’ and Give the name of Policy, than check to Checkbox in ‘Against targets’ to first option. Click on Ok button. Policy has created. See the bellow image:-
The symbols are showing state of policy. A Green Symbols means is condition is True and a Red symbols means condition is false on the table you can see the detail click on View Link. As shown in above screen.